Not sure if you guys can tell but I LOVE breakfast foods, so when I find a yummy recipe I am always trying to convert it over to gluten free. This french toast is a no brainer, it’s made with coconut milk, so its DAIRY FREE also!!
The only issue was finding a delicious, flaky, sweet golden brown brioche bread to use. So instead of me reinventing the wheel I used a wonderful recipe for brioche bread that I found on Carol Kicinski’s site Simply Gluten Free. I highly recommend her recipe for Gluten Free Brioche.
Enjoy and let me know your thoughts!
Gluten Free & Dairy Free Coconut French Toast
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yields 4-5 servings
- 5 lg. eggs
- 1 (14 oz.) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice ( McCormick is gluten free)
- Kosher salt
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 8 thick slices of your favorite Gluten-Free brioche or challah bread
- 3 tbsp. sweetened shredded coconut
- Mixed berries, for serving (whatever is in season- blueberries, raspberries or blackberries will do)
- Confectioners’ sugar, for serving ( be sure gluten free- Dominos and C&H brands state they are gluten free)
- Maple Syrup, for serving
- Whisk eggs, coconut milk, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and a pinch of salt together.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil on medium.
- Soak 4 slices of your bread in the egg mixture, letting excess drip off; add to skillet.
- Sprinkle each slice with sweetened shredded coconut; press to adhere. Cook 4 minutes or until bottom of bread is deep golden brown. Gently turn slices over; cook 2 minutes or until coconut flakes are deep golden brown.
- Transfer to parchment-lined cookie sheet and keep warm in 300 degrees F oven. Repeat with 4 more slices bread, adding another 1 teaspoon oil if necessary.
- Serve with mixed berries, confectioners’ sugar, and maple syrup, if desired.
#KidsTummyTroubles #GlutenFree #GlutenFreeLiving #Glutendairyfree #Celiac #CeliacRecipes #GlutenFreeRecipes